We recently had the opportunity to assist clients in designing and deploying interfaces to automatically import charges into Allscripts Enterprise PM from not only Allscripts Enterprise EHR, but also other vendor EHRs including Mosaic and eCW. At one particular client, AEPM served as the aggregator for all charges generated in the enterprise. In addition to the inbound charge interface, an inbound demographic interface was required to ensure that the patient exists before trying to interface and import charges for them. Thus with each generated charge in vendor systems, a HL7 ADT registration message was sent immediately preceding the HL7 DFT charge message.
When importing registrations and charges into AEPM, several matching and translation considerations need to be made. In terms of inbound registration, the following list a subset of “linking” items and their respective options for match:
- Name/date of birth
- Policy Reference Number
- Subscriber Certificate Info
- Default value
- Cross Reference Link
- Direct Map (Abbreviation)
- Carrier (Insurance)
- Default Carrier
- Cross-Reference Link *Note: a cross-reference link can be likened to a translation table – simply translating an input (vendor insurance code for instance) to a corresponding output (AEPM carrier abbreviation)
Additionally, import options exist including the following subset:
- This function will allow for the automatic import of demographics which do not have any data errors or missing cross reference links. Only those patients which pass all of the validations will be auto registered.
- Allow Update of existing Demographics?
- Answer Yes – if you wish to allow existing demographic information for patients to be changed to match the data that was imported.
- Default to update existing Demographics?
- Answer Yes – if you will be updating information for all existing patients.
- Answer No – if you wish to update patients one at a time or if you do not wish to import all of the patients included in the file.
Lastly, we can selectively block certain fields from importing. This will facilitate certain fields in AEPM to be maintained manually instead of receiving update when importing data. An example of this would be for indicating the Patient Student Status, or Employment Status, which may be required for billing purposes.
The following demonstration illustrates the process for importing interfaced charges and demographics into AEPM: